Friday, November 1, 2013

Listen To This

How many people think of how many ways to say that their music defines and/or shapes their lives? The obvious has been stated by us all--we love music, we breathe music, we allow it to transform our moods, our desires, our outlook on life...

This power was proven and set in stone 5 years ago by my son as he circled the kitchen, singing something nearly unintelligible, at full voice in the garbled tones only a two-year-old can screech; if I hadn't picked up "CBGB" I wouldn't have understood that he was singing "Life During Wartime" by The Talking Heads. My daughter was born to Elton John and Stevie Wonder. I always wanted someone to play "I Will" by the Beatles for me, but I got "Killing Me Softly" by The Fugees from my former husband. The end of my marriage was sealed by Aphex Twin's "Cliffs". It's been a long journey, and I quite like the path so far; "Cruel" by St. Vincent helped me in the early bits, and now the joy and sexiness of everything Nina Simone has ever sung is daily building buoyancy for me.


What's on your playlist? Any requests?

No comments: