Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Try a Little Tenderness

I'm working this Thanksgiving (Wed., Thurs, Fri., Sat., & Sun). Many in retail/food-service/healthcare are doing the same. If you happen to be in a position where you're interacting with any of us, please:

1. Be kind. We're here to help you, as we're in a position of service.
2. Because we're in a position of service, we'll treat you well. You do the same.
3. If we can't help you the moment you need us, don't take it personally. We'll do our best for you as soon as you can. Your patience is appreciated.
4. Don't tell me "it sucks to work on Thanksgiving." I don't share the thought, and I'm not interested in spending time thinking about something that doesn't apply to me.
5. Don't take retail/food-service so seriously--lots of folks are wanting the same thing of us as you are, so please understand that when it's your turn, we'll give you our full attention. Until then, see number 3. A sense of humor is most welcome, especially if it's a good joke about 4th-string quarterbacks, icy winds, or Hobbits. All of these are good conversation starters. Which brings me to the final bit:
6. I'm a human; I'm not a service-bot--some sort of android designed for just you. I can only do a few things at once, and I do have flaws, as I'm a thinking, feeling, emoting sack of bones.

Treat me and all my brothers and sisters in service with kindness and patience this holiday season, and I guarantee you will get the best service I can possibly give.


No comments: